Too many holiday-inspired coffees can leave us looking like Santa Claus round the middle – and that doesnt make us jolly in the least!
For many North Americans, the holidays “begin” when a certain coffee shop chain brings back their festive eggnog and gingerbread lattes.
Unfortunately, drinking too many of these holiday-inspired drinks can leave us looking like Santa Claus ‘round the middle—and that doesn’t make us jolly in the least!
Keep in mind the following tips the next time you meet a friend for a festive drink.
- Bring a reusable cup or tell the barista your drink is “for here,” so you can get it in a ceramic mug. While doing so may not directly affect your health, you’re increasing your environmental karma, which is good for everyone’s health in the long run.
- Avoid “skinny” versions of drinks, as these contain sugar-free syrups that are made with the artificial sweetener Splenda, which contains chlorine and requires long-term studies on humans to determine its safety.
- Ask the barista to make your drink “half-sweet.” The smallest flavoured drink usually contains two pumps of syrup. By asking for your drink to be made half-sweet you’re cutting the sugar content of the drink significantly—chances are you won’t even taste the difference!
- Get extra foam rather than whip cream. Not only is whip cream packed with unhealthy saturated fats, but Starbucks’s version is also sweetened heavily with vanilla syrup. Skip the whip and avoid the added fat and sugar.
- Invite your friend over to your house. Rather than spending $5 on a hot, festive drink, make your own with quality, organic ingredients.